Salisbury University
A Maryland University of National Distinction

Salisbury Admissions

FAQs for Applicants

Application Process - Freshman

Can I receive a fee waiver for my application? Salisbury University provides fee waivers for financial hardship reasons, but waivers are not provided based on visiting campus. Any guidance counselor or community-based organization advisor can request a waiver for a student based on financial need. Please send the documentation to the Admissions Office at 1200 Camden Ave., Salisbury, MD 21801. A student may also be considered for a waiver if he or she notifies the Admissions Office if they have received an SAT waiver. In addition, a student can e-mail to request a fee waiver for financial hardship. Those granted a waiver should select “fee waiver” and “other” on the CollegeNet application or check the appropriate waiver on the Common Application.

How many letters of recommendation should I send? Salisbury University requires one letter of recommendation, typically satisfied by the letter and counselor report submitted by your school counselor. Applicants are welcome to submit additional letters of recommendation, but they are encouraged to include them in the transcript packet. Any letter of recommendation included with the transcript packet will remain with the student’s file for review. If other recommendation letters are submitted separately, the Office of Admission will match them with the student’s application to the degree possible. Because of high application volume, however, the Office of Admission is not able to verify receipt of letters of recommendation received separately.

How do you calculate my GPA? Salisbury University takes the unweighted GPA of a student, on a 4.0 scale, and then adds additional weight for honors and AP courses. If a student does not have a GPA on a 4.0 scale, we convert it to the 4.0 scale so that every student is considered using the same format.

How do I send my test scores? SAT, ACT and AP scores can be sent from the testing organization or through the high school counselor.

What is the foreign language requirement for Salisbury University? Salisbury University recommends two years of foreign language study for admission. According to the Board of Regents Policy, incoming students may meet the recommended language requirement for admission by completing two courses in one or more computer programming language.

Has SU received all of my application materials? Once we receive your application, you will receive a letter in the mail containing your student ID and password to GullNet, SU’s online student records website. Once you log on you will be able to see your “To Do List.” You can monitor the status of your application and check for receipt of transcripts or test scores.

When will I hear back from Salisbury University?If you applied and had your application materials (high school transcript and SAT/ACT scores) sent to SU by the Early Decision deadline of November 15, you will have a response by December 15 at the latest. If you applied and had your application materials (high school transcript and SAT/ACT scores) sent to SU by the Early Action deadline of December 1, you will have a response by January 15 at the latest. If you applied and had your application materials (high school transcript and SAT/ACT scores) sent to SU by the Regular Decision deadline of January 15, you will have a response by March 15 at the latest.

Can I still apply if I miss the January 15th deadline? Students may still submit an application after the deadline, but it will be considered on a space-available basis, which may delay the response received.

Application Process - Transfers

Admission Requirements: To be considered for transfer admission, a student must meet each of the following qualifications:

  1. Have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale; for students who have attended more than one institution, a cumulative average from all previous college work attempted at regionally accredited community colleges and four-year institutions attended will be computed.
  2. Have earned a minimum of 24 transferable semester hours of college-level credit from a regionally accredited community college or four-year college or university.
  3. Have left the last institution of attendance in good academic standing and with a clear disciplinary record.

What is contractual admission? Contractual admission may be extended to individuals who have completed at least 12 semester hours of transferable coursework and earned a 2.5 minimum cumulative average. Fall applicants receiving a contractual admission must earn 24 transferable credits by the completion of the previous spring term and at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA. Spring applicants receiving a contractual admission must earn 24 transferable credits by the completion of the previous fall term and at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA.

What is ARTSYS? ARTSYS is a computerized data information system for Maryland community college students. It indicates whether a course is transferable and, if so, indicates the four-year institution's equivalent course number.

How many credits will SU accept? We will accept 64 credits from a two-year intuition and 90 from a four-year institution.

Admissions Decisions - Freshman

What does it mean if I was deferred? This means that your application has been rolled from Early Decision to Regular Decision in order to compare the credentials you have presented with the students in our Regular Decision applicant pool. You will receive notification from SU by March 15. The final decision will depend on the strength of the applicant pool.

What if I applied for fall admission but was offered spring admission? Admission to Salisbury University is a selective process. This means that although most of the students in our applicant pool are capable of completing college-level work, their credentials are compared to those of other applicants. Those students presenting the most competitive application materials are selected for fall admission. Students whose records still impressed the admissions committee but were not selected for fall may be sent a letter offering admission for the spring semester. Students who wish to accept spring admission should reserve a place in the spring class by paying an admissions deposit by August 1. Students may choose to attend another college in the fall to earn credit, but they do not have to do so. Any credit received at another institution during the fall semester must be completed with a 2.0 cumulative GPA.

Why would I be denied? Admission to SU is very selective. Approximately half of all applicants are granted admission. Receiving a denial letter does not indicate that you are not ready for college-level work, only that the credentials that you submitted for admission were not as strong as other applicants. For example, the average GPA of students admitted for fall 2013 was 3.71 and the average SAT was 1733. It is important to note that receiving a denial letter does not mean that you will never be able to attend Salisbury University. We encourage you to continue building your record and apply again as a transfer student.

Admissions Decisions - Transfers

Why would I be denied? You could be denied either because you did not meet the admission requirements or because the University met its enrollment capacity.


How do I apply for scholarships? The admissions application automatically qualifies students for consideration for most academic scholarships. Students desiring consideration for academic scholarships should submit completed applications for admissions, including high school transcript and standardized test scores, by January 15.

What qualifies me for a scholarship? Salisbury University scholarships are based upon academic requirements. Award amounts are based on the combination of academic credentials (GPA and SAT/ACT). Students may also be eligible for a variety of scholarships based upon particular majors, counties or states of origin, financial need as well as their academic records. Typically, the top 30 percent of the freshman class receives academic scholarships.

When will I find out if I received a scholarship? Initial notification of estimated academic scholarships is typically mailed within three weeks of an admissions decision.

Financial Aid

When should I fill out the FAFSA? The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be available starting October 1 and should be submitted by March 1 for priority funding. The priority-funding deadline is March 1. You may still receive aid if filed later, but you may miss out on some need-based aid opportunities.

When will I find out if I received financial aid? Formal notification of financial aid packages typically occurs by mid-February.

How do I accept financial aid? Students can view and accept their financial aid through the self-service area of GullNet. Students should monitor their “To Do List” on GullNet for additional required documentation.

Financial Aid Timeline (Fall 2017) October 1 – FAFSA is available. March 1 – Priority funding deadline for FAFSA. May 1 – Admission deposit deadline; cancel aid for students who did not deposit. June – Begin loan processing. Early July – Fall bills mailed out. Early August – Fall bills due early August.

Housing - Freshman

How am I notified about housing? Once you pay your deposit in Gullnet you will need to complete the housing contract. Housing is assigned based on the date you submit the housing contract. Housing assignments are sent in July.

Housing - Transfers

How am I notified about housing? You will be put on a waiting list and will be notified when on-campus housing becomes available.

Can I live on campus as a transfer student? You will be put on the waiting list for University Park and Sea Gull Square. If space becomes available, you will be notified.

What options do I have if I am not guaranteed on campus housing? Students not receiving guaranteed housing may choose to live near campus in off-campus options. The website below has lots of information about off-campus housing:


ROTC: You can find information about the Army at the link below:


Non-Degree Seeking Student: In order to register for classes, non-degree seeking students need to go to the Registrar’s Office, which is in Holloway Hall, Room 120. You can take up to eight credits per semester. You will need a registry form and a residency form to determine whether you are in state or out of state. You can register for classes during open enrollment period, the dates for which can be found on the Registrar’s Office website:


Students who have been admitted for previous semesters and attended SU do not re-apply through Admissions. They are considered re-admission/re-activation, which is handled by the Registrar’s Office (410-543-6150). The Readmission Application Form is available here: Readmission Application Form

Non-Traditional Students

If students want to continue their education after several years of being out of school, and they do not have enough credits to transfer, they may apply as freshmen and be considered as non-traditional students. High school transcripts and college transcript for all institutions attended are still required. Admissions does not need the standardized test scores if you have been of high school for three years or more.

Salisbury University 1101 Camden Avenue Salisbury, MD 21801 410-543-6000