Student Health Services
Gynecologic Testing Information
TIPS - for optimal Pap smears/pelvic exam results
- Schedule your pap smear mid-cycle if possible. Avoid the time when there is heavy menstrual bleeding. Blood may obscure cervical cells making accurate evaluation difficult.
48 hours prior to your pap smear:
- If sexually active, no intercourse
- No vaginal creams or suppositories
- No douching
- No tampons
- No diaphragms
- No female condoms
- If you are using NuvaRing, please remove the ring just before coming in for your scheduled appointment. The ring can be removed for 3 hours without affecting it’s potency.
- STD screening for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea can be done at the same time