Hormonal Injection (Lunelle)
How Does it Work?
Lunelle contains progestin and estrogen and is released gradually
throughout the course of one month. It prevents the ovaries from
releasing an egg, and also thickens the cervical mucus.
How Well Does it Work?
If taken as prescribed, Lunelle is 99% effective. Injections must
be received within 5 days of your menstrual period every month.
You are protected from the very first injection. Lunelle offers no
protection against STD’s.
What are the Advantages?
- Protection against noncancerous breast growths
- Reduction of painful menstrual cramps
- Protection against ovarian cysts and cancer of the ovaries
- Less iron deficiency anemia
- Less acne
- Risk reduction for osteoporosis
- Protection against infection of the fallopian tubes (pelvic inflammatory disease), which can lead to infertility
- More regular periods, shorter periods, and lighter periods
Who Should Not Use Lunelle?
- Women who smoke
- Women with previous history of heart attack, stroke, or heart disease, or chest pains
- Women with liver disease
- Women who often experience blood clots
What Are Some Common Side Effects?
- Bleeding between periods
- Weight gain or loss
- Breast tenderness
- Change in sexual desire
Go back to the Health Information & Links