Center for International Education


Holloway Hall
Salisbury University - Center for International Education

F-1 Visa Status

Other Information

Travel and reentry: Travel and reentry while engaging in OPT

An F-1 student engaged in pre-completion OPT follows the same procedure for visits abroad and re-entry as all F-1 studentsAn F-1 student who is engaged in post-completion OPT who travels outside the United States temporarily (i.e., less than 5 months) can be readmitted to resume employment for the remainder of the period authorized on his or her EAD card, provided:

  • The student presents a Form I-20 endorsed by the DSO within the preceding 6 months

  • The student presents an unexpired EAD, and

  • The student is returning to resume employment.

    Students approved for post-completion OPT continue to be in F-1 status. They are therefore subject not only to the requirements that they have an I-20 endorsed for travel and an EAD, but to the requirement that they have a valid F-1 visa to re-enter the United States, unless they are exempt from the visa requirement.

    Frequently Asked Questions:

    Q:    Can I reenter if my request for OPT is pending?

    A:    Yes, you may reenter to search for employment.


    Q:    Can I reenter if I left while on OPT?

    A:    If your OPT has been approved and you depart before you get a job, your OPT ends and you cannot reenter unless you have a written job offer.

    If you have a job, you may travel and reenter to resume work at the same job or you have a written offer for another job.