Skip to Main Content
Salisbury University BW
A Maryland University of National Distinction
navigation icon opens header SALISBURY UNIVERSITY

Office of the Registrar
navigation icon opens menu

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for graduation?

Students expected to complete their degree requirements must apply to graduate online via their Gullnet account (SelfService) by May 15th for fall and November 15th for spring.

When will I receive my Diploma?

Your diploma will be mailed to the address you provided on your graduation application about 4-6 weeks after graduation. Every student must be checked out completely before receiving his/her diploma.

What do I do if I am receiving notices to pay back my loan but I am still enrolled in school?

Usually on the back of the notices will be a number to call, this number will allow you to order a deferment form which you will need to bring to the Registrar's Office to be filled out for proof of student status.

Will I be deregistered if I miss class the first week?

During the drop/add period, instructors of courses that have reached maximum enrollment may instruct the Registrar's Office to deregister individual undergraduate students provided the following criteria are met:

  1. The student has missed two consecutive class meeting/days during the drop/add period.
  2. The student has not yet notified the instructor of his/her intention to remain in the class.

    Non-attendance without formally dropping a course with the Registrar's Office does not constitute a "W" constitutes an "F" grade.

Students should check their schedule on GullNet to make sure all enrollment information is correct.

I am not attending this term, what do I need to do before I return to school?

This depends on the type of student you are. If you are a:

  • Non-Degree: you can register for up to 7 credit hours during winter term and 8 credit hours during fall/spring/summer term without being readmitted by completing a non-degree registration form.
  • Returning Matriculated: Undergraduate students who miss a semester (fall or spring) must be readmitted to the University. Matriculated graduate students who do not attend at least one graduate class in a calendar year must also be readmitted to the University. Applications for readmission may be obtained on the web: Readmission Application

What do I do if a course I want is closed?

  • Check the Gull Net frequently for course openings as other students are dropping and adding other courses.
  • Wait until the first week of the semester, visit the class and speak ask the professor for permission to be let in.  You will also need your department chair to approve your add slip to be enrolled in a closed class.

How can I obtain my grades?

  • Use the Gull Net to obtain an unofficial transcript or past semester's grades
  • Come into the Registrar's Office to obtain an unofficial transcript.
  • Official transcripts can be ordered through the Registrar's website.

How can I change my major or minor?

*NEW-All major, minor, and catalog change requests are now made through your Gullnet account!  Navigate to your Student Center and click on Academic Record Update Request and click on Create a New Request (step by step directions).

How do I audit a course?

Audited courses bear the same tuition and fees as for credit coursework graded in a traditional manner. Audited courses are counted as part of an individual’s course load but cannot be used to satisfy any graduation requirement. Students are assigned W grades for non-attendance. Individual courses can be designated as audit by submitting a properly completed Change Course Credit Hours or Grading Basis form to the Registrar’s Office. Changes to or from audit are permitted only during the preregistration, registration and drop/add periods.

Can I take a course Pass/Fail?

During their junior and senior years, undergraduates may take courses on a pass/fail basis, subject to the following conditions:

  1. Courses taken on a pass/fail basis may not be used to satisfy General Education, major or minor requirements with the exception of non-traditional credit awards and field based courses where pass/fail is the only grading option. In addition, courses used to satisfy the University’s 300/400 level requirement may not be taken on a pass/fail basis.
  2. Students may take as many as four courses under the pass/fail option, but may elect only one pass/fail credit course per semester unless a course is offered only on a pass/fail basis.
  3. Students on academic probation may not elect to take any courses on a pass/fail basis if the courses are offered for a grade. Individual courses can be designated as pass/fail by submitting a properly completed Change Course Credit Hours or Grading Basis to the Registrar’ Office. Changes to or from pass/fail are permitted only during the preregistration, registration and drop/add periods. Pass grades (denoted by "PS" grades) do not affect the semester and cumulative grade point averages; however, failing grades (denoted by "F" grades) do affect the semester and cumulative grade point averages.

What happens if I repeat a course because I received a bad grade?

Students repeating a course at SU will receive credit for the last occurrence of the course only, provided the course is graded A, B, C, D, F or I.  Repeated coursework is noted as such on the student record, remains in the student’s attempted hour calculations, but is removed from the earned hour, quality point and GPA calculations. Courses repeated at another educational institution will not be counted towards the GPA.


Non-attendance without formally dropping a course with the Registrar's Office does not constitute a "W" grade... it constitutes an "F" grade.

Need help or have questions about this page? Please visit our Ask a Question or Report a Problem page.
Salisbury University 1101 Camden Avenue Salisbury, MD 21801 410-543-6000